Rules and Conditions
- University or Polytechnic research students (BSc Honours, MSc, or PhD) may apply for a grant to assist them with the costs of undertaking research.
- Applications should be for botanical or plant ecology research and be related to the aims of the Society:
"To further the study of field botany in the Central North Island".
- Preference will be shown for projects to be undertaken within the Bay of Plenty. The field component of the project should be specified.
- Projects should be field based; i.e. they should have a field-sampling component.
- The committee of the Botanical Society or a review panel will review applications and select the applicants that will be supported.
- Completed application forms are to be forwarded to the Secretary of the Botanical Society. The completed form may be digitally scanned and emailed to (max 5 MB). The application should include an outline of the work to be undertaken, proposed outputs, a time line, a budget (including details of how the grant would be spent) and supporting statements from project supervisors or other relevant researchers.
- Successful applicants will be required every 6 months to provide a summary of the work undertaken and a summary of the results in a format suitable for publication in the Society's newsletter.
- Applicants will need to provide details of how payments are to be used. These will be required to satisfy the Botanical Society and the University or Polytechnic that the funds have been used for the purposes for which they were granted.
- Up to $3,000 may be available, but it is likely that smaller grants will be made. If the maximum amount is awarded, the award would not be available again until the committee considers sufficient funds to be available. The funds will not cover all of a student's costs but will help to cover travel or other expenses incurred while a project is in progress.
- The Scholarship does not currently have a deadline for applications, so that applications may be made at any time. A response from the committee will be made within one month of receipt of application.
Copies of the application form are available from the Secretary, Rotorua Botanical Society, c/o National Forestry Herbarium, Scion, Private Bag 3020, Rotorua 3046.